Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA) Project
- Goa College of Engineering (GEC), Farmagudi, Goa has been granted the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA) Project by the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE), Govt. of India. UBA aims to use Institutes of higher education to indigenously develop self-sufficient and sustainable village clusters. GEC intends to use Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to develop the identified Village Clusters. GEC with its incumbent ICT technical skills is trying to promote the following focus areas: - Handhold identified Village Schools to improve appreciation for STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics) by adapting necessary e-Content.
- Promote ethical education, adult e-literacy and help adopt digital platforms for ease of transactions for Government/ Finance/ Lifestyle etc. activities Promote Swaach Bharat Abhiyan in the Village Clusters by adopting households and being facilitators to implement "Village Garbage Management" initiative.
- Promote Social Awareness of various social evils like "Substance Abuse" etc.; promoting Government Schemes, promote Green initiatives in villages via ICT, Role plays and village contact initiatives by associating with village based Local Bodies.
- Facilitate usage of ICT to improve economic life of the villagers by helping self-help groups, local entrepreneurs, Local Farmers and associate with other NGO's / Govt. Nodal Agencies, etc.
- Under the UBA project, GOI has already sanctioned a Grant-in-aid of Rs 3,25,000/ - to GEC for meeting the expenditure for implementing the scheme for a duration of 2 years.
- In this regard, GEC has adopted the villages Veling and Kavale to pilot the implementation of the Scheme. Programmes/ Meetings were conducted with the Sartak High School, Priol, SwastikVidhyala, Priol, Shri Saraswati High School, Kavale, PTA members and the Local Panchayat members to roll out the implementation plan.
- Focus areas 1 and 2 above are implemented in the adopted village and the results are encouraging. The staff and students of GEC have redeveloped some e-content for delivery of content based learning in the chosen schools.
- GEC has also conducted workshops using 'Rasberry - Pi Kits' to demonstrate its applications and the response has been exciting. We are promoting a model for " Reduce-Reuse-Recycle-Refuse ' for effective house-hold garbage management.
- A meet was organised on 15/09/2017 at GEC with an objective of developing association between Panchayats / Educational Institutes and GEC through UBA. The same was attended by Adv. NarendraSawaikar, Hon M.P. Loksabha (South Goa) and Sarpanchas, members of the Village Panchayats, Management, HeadMasters / Headmistress and Teachers, PTA members of Schools from Villages like Kavare - Pirla, Usgao, Curti, Khola, Balli, Assolda, Mashem, Priol, Kavale, Macasana,